Choosing Good Exercise Activities and Diet Tips
The key to any successful exercise program is finding an activity that you can easily work into your schedule. If you hate the thought of putting on a leotard and going to an aerobics class, try a simpler approach. Start small and work your way into an activity that you really enjoy. Walk in place at home or get out and do a few laps around your local mall or neighborhood. Ride an exercise bike or use a treadmill while you watch your favorite sitcom.
If this is your first experience, start slowly, 10-15 minutes, 2-3 times a week, building up to 30 minutes a day, five days a week. Daily exercise, with healthy eating choices, will help you achieve and maintain your desired weight.
Most importantly, look for roadblocks to success. Too tired to exercise 30 minutes after work? Try breaking up your workout into two 15-minute periods. Research shows that short periods of exercise are just as effective as long stretches. Have a backup plan for outdoor activities. If it is too cold for your walk, dance through your house to your favorite CD.
Sometimes the idea of diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes can seem overwhelming, but don’t feel like you have to make major changes all at once. Even small adjustments to your eating and exercise habits can pay off in weight loss and overall better health.
Some tips for diet are given below.
- – Make a weight goal and post it somewhere you’ll see it every day.
- – Enjoy crisp vegetable salads instead of greasy foods.
- – Give away high-calorie foods that you know you will end up eating.
- – Try cutting back on large food portions slowly
- – Water is the perfect drink, drink eight 8-oz. glasses of water a day. Water is necessary to all bodily functions and has no calories.
- – Be happy. Don’t act as if resisting tempting foods is killing you.
- – Eating most of your calories in one big meal is the worst possible way to diet.
- – Be aware that you can’t enjoy life, family, or beauty without good health.
- – Steam, broil or bake your foods!
- – “Nibble” at your food and “linger” with your drink, Eat and chew slowly. Learn to stoppage eating before you feel full. (It takes 20 minutes for the stomach to tell the brain that it is full!)
- – Concentrate on your goals, not your limitations.
- – Make charts or graphs of your weight loss and eating behavior.
- – Carry a low-cal drink at a party and refuse food with a, “No thank you, I have something.”
- – When traveling, don’t make food your vacation.
- – Most foods are tasted for only three seconds, then are swallowed and are gone.
- – Chew each bite 20 Times and you will be much more satisfied.
- – Keep in mind that the purpose of getting together with people is to enjoy their company. Eating does not have to be the main event.
- – Every day you stay on your diet brings you closer to your weight goal.
- – Enjoy from the light menus now offered at many restaurants, or purchase low-calorie or reduced-fat products at the grocery store.
- – Remember Low Fat foods may not actually be good for you, they can still be high in fat or calories based on the serving size.
Leave a Reply